Thursday, January 10, 2008

a round of applause please...


reallly amazing marble roman columns. there were some ampitheatres but i didn't get any decent pictures of those.



the basilique from the ruins. i walked there afterwards.


the old men playing petanque!


the cemetary


told you it was huge! this was only a little section of it.


to all my family and friends out there (read the bench). love and miss y'all!

Today I finally ventured out of the house and explored by myself, and it was really fun. It was a beautiful day today, so I decided to go up on the Fourviere hill again (where the Basilique is) and explore up there. On my way there I discovered the metro line that would take me to the Roman ruins, and I'm glad I did because it was beautiful up there and I got to take lots of pictures. I kept walking down a path because it led to a cemetary that I had seen on the map and on the way I walked through the town and saw old men playing petanque, and talked to an older French lady who was very nice (who has a cousin in Dallas...everyone knows where Texas is here!). I finally got to the cemetary (Cimitiere des Loyasses) and it was huge and absolutely beautiful! Unfortunately I wasn't supposed to take pictures, so I only took one. I walked all the way back to the ruins (to insure that I didn't get lost) and just kept walking to these gardens and then to the Basilique. So I walked for like 2 hours today...my legs are going to be sore tomorrow. It was just really good to go somewhere where it was quiet...it's never quite here in the city. At least I know where I can go when I need it. In other news, french pillows are terrible. My roommate and two other girls from my program agreed---they're squares and really flat. Hurts my neck. Oh! Other cool thing...I went to a fromagerie in Vieux Lyon today on my way home. Ended up buying a local cheese (it was cheaper than the rest!) and it's ridiculouslyyyy delicious! It's cow's milk with pepper, and it definitely has green mold growing on in...I'm just going to trust the guy...haha! But anyways, for those of you that don't know, Lyon is the gastronomical capital of France...lucky me! I read that this is true simply because it's in a prime location---it's very near the best chicken, beef, vegetables...on and on and on. I'm not sure of the details---mama, you could look it up in that "taste of france" book cause that's where I found it. Anyways, enjoy the pictures!

2 comments:

s/doss said...

I realize that your room-mate's name is Sarah, but I'm sure you are not sleeping on her trundle bed. Sorry, Sarah, but, I, the original Sarah in Jackie's life, have trumped you.

That's all I'm saying.

Also, I miss you and don't know what I will do with my life without you.

Since your absence, I have chosen to simply change my life. Things are different now...I just got my first "deep V tee shirt" and started wearing my hair differently...

KG1B said...

and I don't dance as much without you.